Natural Gas Works For America
As we head into the end of summer and the Labor Day holiday, TEA would like to take a moment to talk about how important affordable and reliable energy—especially from American energy sources like natural gas—is to American workers and the businesses that employ them.
Here’s a few facts:
- The oil and natural gas industry combined supports almost 11 million U.S. jobs, 5.4% of the nation’s total employment. For every job in the oil and natural gas industry, nearly 4 jobs are created elsewhere.
- In 2021, the oil and natural gas industry produced $909 billion in labor income and supported nearly $1.8 trillion in U.S. gross domestic product.
- The energy supply chain is more than one million workers, employed in over 120,000 companies in 60 industries, working in all 50 states. It contributes more than $170 billion to the U.S. economy annually.
- There are nearly 8 million small businesses with fewer than 1,000 employees in the United States, and they employ 112 million workers.
- The natural gas industry has resulted in $500 billion in savings for U.S. businesses over the past decade, allowing those small businesses to invest more in growth and job creation.
Clean, affordable and reliable energy sources, like American natural gas, keeps America AND Americans working! For more information, check out TEA’s “Natural Gas Fuels Jobs” Factsheet.